Coconut Oil is ‘the’ oil that all of us have grown up with. Our grand moms used it, our moms used it and then they passed on this magical oil to us and we too used it and continue to use it till date without realizing its goodness. You would be amazed to know that the coconut tree is a.k.a the “Tree of Life” and the benefits of the ultra-hydrating coconut oil are many.
Here’s listing 35 Benefits of Coconut Oil and why it is the best:
- Delays aging: Coconut oil can delay aging by keeping wrinkles and fine lines at bay.
- Natural Body Lotion: It is a cheap and healthy substitute for chemical laden body lotions and can be used soon after bath for high effectiveness.
- Treats Skin Infections: Helpful in treating skin infections like eczema, psoriasis, dermatities and a host of other skin diseases.
- Deodorant: Coconut oil is beneficial when used as a deodorizer. It can be applied to armpits, feet etc. to ward off foul smell.
- Under Eye Cream: If a few drops of coconut oil are applied to the skin under the eyes then it can replace the most expensive of under eye creams and can help reduce fine lines and puffiness of eyes.
- Makeup Remover: Coconut oil can be used to remove makeup by simply applying on the face and then washing off with warm water. This will hydrate the skin and help remove all chemicals effectively.
- Lip Balm: It’s an excellent lip balm and completely solves the problem of chapped lips when used in winters over the lips and the belly button.
- Shaving Cream: Men (and sometimes even women) can use it for shaving in place of shaving creams. It makes the skin really smooth and helps achieve a clean shave.
- Moisturizer: This oil can also keep your skin looking young, smooth and moisturized. Just apply it all over your face and massage gently daily.
- Cuticle Softener: Coconut oil is very effective in softening cuticles and should be applied to cuticles to not only soften them but also to strengthen the nails.
- Hair Oil: An excellent hair oil as it is best at fighting dry skin, dandruff and protein deficiency in hair.
- Hair Conditioner: Coconut oil is a natural hair conditioner and can easily and effectively replace chemical conditioners that are doing the rounds in the market these days.
- Weight Loss: Helps to reduce weight by reducing hunger, if consumed regularly in the required quantity
- Nutrition Booster: Add a spoonful of virgin coconut oil to your coffee everyday and you will get a nutritional boost while drinking coffee. It can also be added to smoothies to kick up the health quotient of all smoothies.
- Thyroid Stimulator: Healthy for the thyroid and endocrine system.
- Dry Nails: It makes a great home remedy for dry and flaky nails that need moisturization.
- Increases metabolic rate: Increases the body’s metabolic rate and thus helps obese or overweight people lose weight.
- Anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal: Coconut Oil has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties and thus its application can keep harmful bacteria, virus or fungi from affecting our skin.
- Strengthens Immunity: Owing to its anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties, it is also popularly known as an ‘immunity strengthener’.
- Dry Mouth: Coconut oil helps to treat dry mouth if swished in the mouth for about 10-15 mins twice in a day. It also eliminates odor causing bacteria from the mouth.
- Good For Digestion: Effective is maintaining healthy digestion.
- Absorption of nutrients: Consumption of coconut oil helps the digestive system absorb vitamins, minerals and amino acids better.
- Ultra Hydrating: Has highly moisture retention properties and thus never lets skin, hair or digestive system dry out.
- Helps to Heal: Speeds up healing process of wounds, bruises, cuts etc. by working on the damaged tissues.
- Diaper Rashes: Good for babies suffering with a diaper rash as it eliminates any type of fungi or yeast present in the diaper area.
- Energy Bank: Coconut Oil is an energy bank for people who need lot of energy like laborers, athletes, weight lifters etc. This is because the fats in coconut oil get converted into energy very quickly.
- Antioxidant and Stress Buster: This oil is full of antioxidant properties and is a very good stress buster if used as a massage oil for head massages.
- Helps Absorb Calcium: Consuming coconut oil regularly increases calcium absorption in the body, as a result of which we get healthier and stronger teeth.
Osteoporosis: Coconut oil is good for women with osteoporosis as it helps strengthen bones. It helps the body in absorbing calcium and magnesium better, thereby strengthening the bones.
- Diabetes: Coconut oil has numerous benefits because it boosts up insulin secretion and helps in preventing and sometimes even treating diabetes.
- Kidney Stones: Beneficial in dissolving kidney stones, a commonly found problem in adults.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Beneficial in regularizing bowels and treating IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
- Obesity: Reduces abdominal obesity in women.
- Cradle Cap: Cradle Cap in babies can be fought using coconut oil by applying it liberally over the cradle cap areas at night. In the morning, the cradle cap can be combed off without any bleeding or pain to the baby.
- Candida: Coconut oil keeps candida in total check by killing all the bad and unwanted bacteria.
- Cholesterol: The lauric acid in coconut oil helps increase good cholesterol.
Coconut oil is said to be the ‘healthiest oil on earth’ and can be used to treat and prevent ‘almost’ anything. It is ideal to be used by all age groups and has no side effects.
Do let me know if you found this post useful and I shall be back with more. 🙂