Just a few days ago I went to the dentist for a dental checkup and got a regular round of cleaning done! Fortunately, my teeth were in alright condition and not much work was required on part of the dentist.
Out of curiosity, I asked the doctor about bleaching one’s teeth and she told me about two elaborate and complex ways to whiten and brighten one’s teeth. Listening to the whole procedure itself was so tiring, that the question of going in for it didn’t arise!
Instead of opting for lengthy and expensive clinical procedures to whiten my teeth, I decided to use some cool and effective home remedies to whiten my teeth and brighten them too!
Here’s listing down the 12 most effective home remedies to whiten your teeth:
- Rub an orange peel over your teeth once every night before going to bed. Do this for a few weeks to see the desired results.
- Brush your teeth with salt once before brushing with your regular toothpaste every morning. This will naturally bleach your teeth after a few brushes.
- Flossing your teeth once daily can remove the stains in between your teeth making them look whiter.
- Raw carrots, apples,cucumbers if eaten daily; act like a scrub for the teeth and naturally cleanse and brighten your teeth.
- Chew Margosa/Neem leaves or twigs once daily. These will act as a toothbrush and a natural bleach for your teeth.
- Rub the inside of a banana peel on your teeth twice a week and brush after this as you do regularly.
- Rub apple cider vinegar on your teeth and rinse off thoroughly with water.
- Take half a tablespoon of mustard oil and mix a pinch of salt with it. Use this mixture to brush your teeth gently.
- Mix a few teaspoons of baking soda with enough lemon juice to make a paste out of it. Wipe your teeth dry with a paper towel. Apply it onto your teeth with the help of your toothbrush and leave on for a minute. Rinse off. You can replace lemon juice with water.
- Add a pinch of salt to the pulp of 1 strawberry. Apply it onto your teeth with the help of your toothbrush and leave on for a minute. Rinse off with water.
- Try the oil pulling method. Rinse, sip, suck and swish your mouth with coconut oil for about 15-20 mins and rinse your mouth with plain water after that. Brush with your regular toothpaste after this.
- Dry a few leaves of Tulsi (holy basil) in the sun and grind them to make a powder. Use this powder along with your regular toothpaste everyday to brush your teeth.
Apart from making use of these home remedies to whiten your teeth you need to take care of oral hygiene. Use a straw to drink liquids, whenever possible. If it is not possible to use a straw every time you drink a hot liquid, make sure to brush your teeth after consuming these. Also, limit the consumption of tea, coffee and drinks containing nicotine or caffeine. Quit smoking if you are a regular smoker.
The above mentioned remedies, when made use of regularly, show desired results in a week or two. Patience is all you need to get through and make it to that pearly white shiny smile of yours!